expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, November 9, 2015

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins



First Things First: Cover art!
I actually like the cover art for this book! I think it works great with the title, it seems to represent something in motion which again works really well with the cover. 
*******
Summary:
"Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. “Jess and Jason,” she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.

And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel offers what she knows to the police, and becomes inextricably entwined in what happens next, as well as in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?"
*******
My Review: 
Eh... This book was not my favorite. I skipped to the end a third of the way through and then forced myself to read through the rest of it. I expected a murder mystery full of suspense and crazy twists and turns, what I found was a crazy alcoholic lady who can't get over the fact that her husband cheated on her.


 Rachel as a character, she's a mess.  She's written well but I just couldn't get myself to like Rachel at all... She wants her life back, I get it but why is it that suddenly everyone in the world is involved with her ex-husband. If Criminal Minds was about cheating husbands instead of serial killers, than this would definitely be an episode. I just did not like how it revolved on Rachel's problems more than the actual story line.
Usually in books like this I can have sympathy for the main character, but Rachel she is doing NOTHING to solve her problems which absolutely ruins the story line. Thy mystery of it all was really good but halfway through the book I already knew who killed when and where and what happened pretty much. I feel like this book could be a People magazine story just add celebrities and you got an instant story!
Now I didn't hate everything about this book I liked the premise of the story but it's not what I signed up for after reading the dust jacket summary. Rachel as a character I just couldn't... We all have one of those friends at some point which basically sit there like slugs, complain to you that their lives are miserable and complain all the time about the decisions that THEY make. I wanted to grab Rachel and push her into a very very very cold pool of water in hopes that would knock some sense into her. Half the book was her complaining about how "I know this decision is stupid but I am doing it anyways". She made great strides in overcoming her alcohol addiction at some points but she always slipped back into her addiction without fail for some reason or another which just made her to whiny of a character for me. The end was somewhat expected for this book, I kinda knew it was going to go in that direction about fifty pages before the end of the book. All in all, this book started out promising but it just didn't finish strong, and it became very predictable.

Rating: 5 out of 10. Wasn't good but it wasn't great either. Just feel like the summary promised one thing and what I got was something else.

Content Rating: 4 (18+). Adult romance, swearing, and alcohol.

1 comment:

  1. I found the book to be a page turner. I highlighted many statements in the book. Listened to a podcast with the author. Here is my opinion on the book:http://readablestuffs.blogspot.com/2016/08/girl-on-train-paula-hawkins.html

    ReplyDelete